The second beer in our 2020 Unafraid of the Dark – Rare Breed Edition beer series is a Coconut Rum Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (11.1% ABV). This lusciously indulgent beer features a roasty, dark rum aroma and initial flavors of smooth vanilla, coffee, and dark caramel, followed by a punch of dark fruit and chocolate-covered berry jamminess, all underscored by a big boozy warmth. It’s a real treat, and we can’t wait for you all to try it! It goes on tap here on Friday, January 10th.
And while this Unafraid of the Dark – Rare Breed Edition beer series is sold out, we’ve reserved 35 of the Coconut Rum Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout bottles for individual sale, at $10 each. They will be available on the afternoon of January 10th on a first come, first serve basis!
Here are our tasting notes:
– Appearance: Jet black with a caramel-colored head.
– Aroma: One sniff of this wonderful sipper reveals aromas of roast, dark rum, and coffee.
– Taste & Mouthfeel: Take a sip, and you’ll first taste flavors of smooth vanilla, coffee, and dark caramel that quickly transitions into a punch of dark fruit and chocolate-covered berry jamminess – along with a big boozy warmth. The coconut from the barrel is more subtle, tasting more like vanilla with a bit of underlying earthiness. The barrel has definitely accentuated the chocolate and dark fruit flavors in the beer. As such, this beer shows off plenty of dark cocoa nib notes, complemented by the tang of cherry, plum, and blackberry flavors.
Coconut Rum Imperial Stout is a BIG beer, clocking in at 11.1% ABV. If you are looking to be ‘warmed up’, this beer is for you. After even just a sip, you can feel a gentle, boozy warmth all the way down.
– Pairing: Try pairing this beer with chocolate cake (especially flourless or German Chocolate), a bacon blue cheese burger, coconut shrimp, prime rib, or, savor this special beer on its own!
– Serving glass: Snifter or tulip.
– Stats – ABV 11.1%
Our Rare Breed series features the very best beers from our barrel program. Each beer has been carefully vetted by our brewers and owners to ensure that they are extraordinary enough to be bottled and shared with you!