We are hiring for a Front of House Manager, Farm Crew Members, a Line Cook, and a Host
Front of House Manager
In this role, you will be responsible for executing a top notch experience for customers visiting Throwback Brewery, as well as all front of house operations. We see you acting as the ultimate coach / player – setting the example by doing – illuminating that Throwback is a fun, hardworking environment made better by teamwork.
The role requires strong customer service, communication, and leadership skills. It requires the ability to calmly and smoothly resolve conflict (with both staff and customers), and it necessitates lots of energy, given the high pace of our work environment. As one of the primary faces of Throwback Brewery, we will need you to embrace, understand, and share our story, including our mission to create locally-sourced beer, our passion for sustainability, and our belief that kindness matters. We are seeking a genuinely kind and positive person who takes pride in their work and enjoys leading and coaching teams.
- Leadership: Take complete ownership of the Front of House– coaching, motivating, inspiring, and supporting staff in an encouraging manner, which includes giving direction, demonstrating our values in action, setting goals and acknowledging achievements, as well as identifying areas in need of improvement. Your team should look up to you, and want to follow your lead.
- Interdepartmental Collaboration: Collaborate with owners, marketing, farmers, brewers, and kitchen to create a unique, welcoming, and inclusive guest experience.
- Staffing: Create and communicate weekly FOH schedules. Identify holes in staffing needs and fill vacancies as needed via hiring new staff or training existing staff.
- Training: This position requires the proper onboarding of new hires, organizing of training sessions, and hands-on mentoring.
- Problem Resolution: Smoothly resolve conflicts (customer complaints, staff issues or disputes) with patience and kindness. Communicating concerns to the owners in a timely, productive, and professional manner is key.
- Operations: Ensure that all Throwback Standard Operating Procedures are understood and followed. Responsible for maintaining an inventory of the bar and FOH items, as well as ordering/purchasing needed items in a timely manner to ensure we are always well stocked.
- “Cocktails” Program: This position is responsible for crafting a seasonal beverage menu that can be easily executed by staff.
- Events and Large Parties: Manage requests for small events and larger parties, which includes responding daily to customer questions across all channels, including email and phone.
Front of House Maintenance: Ensure that our restaurant and beer garden are clean and welcoming to guests.
- At least 2 years of prior management experience in a restaurant or brewery setting.
- Desire to honor our values and work as a team player.
- Thorough knowledge of craft beer styles and an understanding of the brewing process.
- Excellent customer service skills, communication skills, and the ability to resolve customer concerns in a timely and positive manner.
- Ability to work independently, but also to lead a team with thoughtfulness, equity, and kindness.
- Resourcefulness and independent problem solving skills.
Days/Hours: Wednesday-Sunday averaging 40+ hours per week. Nights and weekends required.
To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Farm Crew Member
Hobbs Farm at Throwback Brewery is looking for Farm Crew members to join us for the 2023 season! We are looking for motivated individuals who are passionate about learning what it takes to grow delicious, seasonal produce and take pride in a job well-done. Farm Crew members help with all aspects of work on the farm including harvesting berries and fruit from our orchard, daily animal chores, cut flower production and arranging, picking hops for the brewery, perennial crop maintenance, and annual vegetable production for Throwback’s kitchen and farmstand. Previous experience working in production agriculture is preferred but not necessary! This is a great opportunity to learn more about small-scale, sustainable agriculture through hands-on experience. If you’re excited to spend your summer outside, working hard to grow delicious food for the local community, then we would love to have you join us!
- Assistance with all aspects of small-scale, sustainable agriculture – soil prep, seeding, greenhouse work, transplanting, cultivating, irrigation set-up and maintenance, disease and pest control, harvesting, washing and processing, and season extension
- Livestock management and care (daily chores, processing, and barn maintenance)
- Operation and maintenance of tractors and other farm machinery
- Perennial crop care and harvesting
- All aspects of cut-flower production, from transplanting and trellising, to harvesting and arranging bouquets for CSA and farm stand sales
- Property maintenance and landscaping
- Farm stand stocking and inventory
- Occasionally assisting with other farm/brewery/restaurant related tasks as directed by the farm manager, such as helping with special events, deliveries, etc.
- Passion for sustainable agriculture, local food and beverage, and caring for animals
- Previous experience working in production agriculture
- Willingness to work a regular weekend schedule and extra hours during peak season
- Interest in working the weekly Saturday Farmers Market
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Alignment with Throwback’s company values
- Good work ethic, self motivated, efficient, great sense of humor
- Ability to solve problems independently and communicate effectively
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to move and lift up to 50 pounds
To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to the Farm Manager at email@example.com.
Number of Positions: 2
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Season: April-November, with the possibility of winter work for the right candidate
Throwback Brewery is looking for an experienced line cook to join our team. The work will be fun, but also very quick-paced. This is a wonderful opportunity to gain new skills while working in a “from scratch” kitchen. We make all of our sauces, bread, sausage, desserts, and more! Since we are on a working farm and prioritize sustainability in everything we do, we are an ideal place for environmentally conscious students passionate about cooking with local ingredients.
A successful Line Cook pays close attention to detail and utilizes active listening skills to follow the process their Head Chef provides. They always keep their station clean, tidy, and well-stocked to ensure food safety and high-quality dishes.
The atmosphere here is fun, quick-paced, harmonious, and supportive. If you aren’t afraid of hard work, have a passion for learning, and take pride in doing an excellent job, you could be a great fit here!
- One to two years of experience as a line cook, restaurant cook, or prep cook. Certificate in Culinary Arts a plus.
- Good organizational skills.
- Accuracy and speed in executing tasks.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Follows directions and instructions.
- Proven cooking experience, including experience as a Line Chef, Restaurant Cook or Prep Cook.
- Excellent understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Alignment with Throwback’s company values (see below).
To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are many benefits to working at Throwback, including the ability to work with a team of very nice, hardworking people that are masters of their crafts (brewing, cooking, service, and farming). If you are eager to learn, we are eager to teach you! Here are some of the benefits we offer to full time employees (full time is 32+ hours a week):
● Employee-offered Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
● Monthly health stipend to offset any healthcare costs
● 18 paid days off per year, as well as 2 mental health days
● Access to a 401K plan with up to a 4% employer match
● Employee discounts, such as 40% of food on days you work a full shift, free shift beers, 25% off merchandise, dibs on ‘imperfect’ cans right off the canning line, etc.
● Onsite gym
If you are thinking about applying here, please take a moment to read our core values. If this doesn’t seem like you, or these values don’t resonate with you, then perhaps we might share a beer with you one day, but working here wouldn’t be a good idea for either of us. However, if you do share these same values, please let us know when you apply!
- Be Profoundly Kind: We treat all of our customers, vendors, and colleagues with deep respect and warmth- as if they were guests in our home.
- Rise by Lifting Others: We enthusiastically work as a team, supporting each other to be their best.
- Strive for Excellence: We strive for excellence because great isn’t good enough. We sweat the details because they truly matter. We think Pearl S. Buck nailed it here–> “The secret of joy in work is contained in one word―excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it.”
- Own it, Fix it, Move on: When there is a problem, we fix it. We are open and honest about mistakes we make. There is no need or place here to focus on blame.
- Embrace All Misfit Toys: We are proudly an island of misfit toys. We celebrate individuality, and make everyone feel welcome.
- Love our Community and Planet: We strive to make our community stronger and more vibrant. We are sustainability-minded – committed to minimizing our negative impact on the environment and maximizing the growth of local farms.
Interested? Please apply by e-mailing your resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Throwback Brewery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.