Hobbs Farm 2021 Apprentice Position
Do you like local food, craft beer, and farmer tans? Hobbs Farm at Throwback Brewery might be the place for you! We are looking to add one full time apprentice grower for the 2021 season. You will learn the basics of how our farm is run, from the soil to the budget. Hobbs Farm is a small, diversified farm that grows for the restaurant and brewing operations at Throwback Brewery, in addition to a CSA and on-site farmstand. We grow vegetables, herbs, flowers, hops, and fruit, and raise meat and dairy animals on nearly 3 acres. We adhere to organic principles and strive for sustainability in all aspects of the farm. Join our small team of farmers and become a part of this growing enterprise.
Hours: 40 hours per week, Wednesday-Sunday, 8:00am-4:30pm (or later)
Season: Early April – October 31 or later (committing to a full season is a necessity)
Perks: Hanging out with donkeys, learning about all aspects of sustainable agriculture, flexible hours, free shift beers, free produce, employee discount.
- Assistance with all aspects of small scale sustainable agriculture – soil prep, seeding, greenhouse work, transplanting, cultivating, harvesting, processing, and season extension.
- Assistance with livestock, including chores, milking, harvest, and processing.
- Independently maintaining the farm on Sundays, including all am and pm animal chores, watering, and tasks set by farm manager
- Operating a tractor and other farm machinery
- Other tasks as necessary, including farmstand maintenance, mowing, cleaning, customer service, etc.
- Occasionally assisting with other farm/brewery/restaurant related tasks as directed by the farm manager, such as staffing farmers markets, deliveries, etc.
- Love for and interest in sustainable agriculture, local food and beverage, and animals
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Good communication
- Good work ethic, self motivated, efficient, great sense of humor
- Ability to problem solve independently
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Interest in farming as a lifestyle or career
- Experience with farming or gardening preferred, but not necessary
- Positive attitude
To apply, please contact the Farm Manager, Katie Malloy, at [email protected] Please send your resume, tell us about yourself, and answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in farming?
- What is your dream job?
- Is there an area of agriculture in particular you are interested in learning about, or do you have knowledge of a specific area that you can offer us?
- Please read through Throwback’s core values and comment on a couple that resonate with you and why.
**NOTE- We will be hiring for Front of House (servers, bartenders, runners) in April**
If you are thinking about applying here, please take a moment to read our core values. If this doesn’t seem like you, or these values don’t resonate with you, then perhaps we might share a beer with you one day, but working here wouldn’t be a good idea for either of us. However, if you do share these same values, please let us know when you apply!
- Be Profoundly Kind: We treat all of our customers, vendors, and colleagues with deep respect and warmth- as if they were guests in our home.
- Rise by Lifting Others: We enthusiastically work as a team, supporting each other to be his or her best.
- Strive for Excellence: We strive for excellence because great isn’t good enough. We sweat the details because they truly matter. We think Pearl S. Buck nailed it here–> “The secret of joy in work is contained in one word―excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it.”
- Own it, Fix it, Move on: When there is a problem, we fix it. We are open and honest about mistakes we make. There is no need or place here to focus on blame.
- Embrace All Misfit Toys: We are proudly an island of misfit toys. We celebrate individuality, and make everyone feel welcome.
- Love our Community and Planet: We strive to make our community stronger and more vibrant. We are sustainability-minded – committed to minimizing our negative impact on the environment and maximizing the growth of local farms.
Interested? Please apply by e-mailing your resume to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Throwback Brewery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.