We’ll be hiring servers and bartenders in the spring – please check back in April!
We are currently looking to hire a Farm Hand for our Farm – Hobbs Farm
Do you like local food, craft beer, and farmer tans? Hobbs Farm at Throwback Brewery might be the place for you! We are looking to add one part time farm hand for the 2019 season and beyond. Hobbs Farm is a small, diversified farm that grows for the restaurant and brewing operations at Throwback Brewery, in addition to a CSA and on-site farmstand. We grow vegetables, herbs, flowers, hops, and fruit, and raise meat and dairy animals on nearly 3 acres. Though we choose not to pursue USDA Organic Certification, we adhere to its principles and strive for sustainability in all aspects of the farm. Join our small team of farmers and become a part of this growing enterprise.
Hours: Approximately 16-24 hours/week, with opportunities for additional hours. A full day Sunday is mandatory, with occasional planned days off. Part of the day on Wednesday also mandatory, but we are flexible with scheduling.
Season: April 1- October 31 (Committing to a full season is a necessity)
Perks: Hanging out with baby goats, learning about all aspects of sustainable agriculture, flexible hours, great beer, free produce, employee discount.
- Assistance with all aspects of small scale sustainable agriculture – soil prep, seeding, greenhouse work, transplanting, cultivating, harvesting, processing, and season extension.
- Livestock handling and chores
- Independently maintaining the farm on Sundays, including all am and pm animal chores, watering, and tasks set by farm manager
- Operating a tractor and other farm machinery
- Other tasks as necessary, including farmstand maintenance, mowing, cleaning, customer service, etc.
- Opportunities for additional hours include staffing the Saturday Portsmouth farmers’ market, 7:00am-2:00pm from May to November, and milking/animal chore shifts over the 2019-2020 winter.
- Love for and interest in sustainable agriculture, local food and beverage, and animals
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Good communication
- Good work ethic, self motivated, efficient, great sense of humor
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Experience with farming or gardening preferred, but not necessary
- Alignment with our company values (see below)
Interested? Please send an email to [email protected] with the subject Farm Hand. If you want to mention which of our values resonate with you, that would be very helpful!
If you are thinking about applying here, please take a moment to read our core values. If this doesn’t seem like you, or these values don’t resonate with you, then perhaps we might share a beer with you one day, but working here wouldn’t be a good idea for either of us. However, if you do share these same values, please let us know when you apply!
- Be Profoundly Kind: We treat all of our customers, vendors, and colleagues with deep respect and warmth- as if they were guests in our home.
- Rise by Lifting Others: We enthusiastically work as a team, supporting each other to be his or her best.
- Strive for Excellence: We strive for excellence because great isn’t good enough. We sweat the details because they truly matter. We think Pearl S. Buck nailed it here–> “The secret of joy in work is contained in one word―excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it.”
- Own it, Fix it, Move on: When there is a problem, we fix it. We are open and honest about mistakes we make. There is no need or place here to focus on blame.
- Embrace All Misfit Toys: We are proudly an island of misfit toys. We celebrate individuality, and make everyone feel welcome.
- Love our Community and Planet: We strive to make our community stronger and more vibrant. We are sustainability-minded – committed to minimizing our negative impact on the environment and maximizing the growth of local farms.
Interested? Please apply by e-mailing your resume to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Throwback Brewery is an Equal Opportunity Employer.