Usually when I do the write-ups for our beers, I try and stay somewhat impartial – mostly describing the flavors and giving you the key stats, while also adding a bit of color commentary on the brewing process or any special ingredients. However, for this particular beer- Five Minute Fugitive – it is hard for me to stay impartial. So I’ll just be upfront about it – I simply love this beer.
Why? Well, Five Minute Fugitive Russian Imperial Stout is everything my palate finds delightful – it is full bodied. It is rich and complex. Its full of flavor – plum, raisin, and caramel, complemented by a touch of roast and a gentle boozy warmth, ending with a lingering port wine/ jammy tang. I don’t know about you guys, but I am a sucker for beers with many levels of flavor, especially when those flavors are dark chocolate and dark fruit.
So what else should you guys know about this next beer in our Unafraid of the Dark VII beer series? One interesting fact is that while we’ve brewed Russian Imperial Stouts before, we’ve always added chocolate or peanuts to make our Fat Alberta. This is the first straight up classic Russian Imperial Stout that we have made since we’ve opened over 6 and a half years ago. And, if you guys end up liking it as much as we do, we will definitely brew it again!
Here are our detailed tasting notes:
– Appearance: This beer is jet black in appearance and has a ‘coffee and cream’ colored head. Given the alcohol level, the head doesn’t stick around too long, but it is beautiful while it lasts!
– Aroma: We get a lovely aroma of dark fruit, fruity esters, dark chocolate, and a touch of black pepper, underscored by a pleasant alcohol warmth.
– Taste & Mouthfeel: This is one full-bodied, velvety beer. In fact, our Lead Brewer Chris said it had ‘a milkshake-like body’. In terms of flavors we get dark fruits — plum, raisin, and prune (in the best possible way) complemented by a touch of roast and undertones of caramel from the honey and caramel malts. A port wine / jammy tang will linger on your tongue long after you’ve taken a sip. Chris likens this flavor to dark chocolate covered plum. While this is a high alcohol beer and you might detect a gentle alcohol / boozy warmth, this beer actually drinks more like a 6 or 7% ABV beer instead of 9.2%!
– Pairing: If you are enjoying one of these here at our brewery, try it with our Throwback Burger. It would pair exceptionally well with desserts – think a decadent, fudgy brownie with a glass of this to wash it down.
– Serving glass: At the brewery, we will be serving this in a 12-oz tulip glass.
– Stats – ABV 9.2% and 64.6 IBU.
Some of you may be wondering where the name came from. Well, you’ll have to ask Throwback co-founder Annette when you see her, as she is the inspiration!
Five Minute Fugitive will be on tap starting Valentine’s Day – Wednesday, February 14th, 2018 until it is gone! Note- growler fills will be for Unafraid of the Dark VII card holders only. But, come by our pub and enjoy this special beer on draft!