The 7th annual Portsmouth Beer Week is right around the corner, so start getting your palates ready for a delicious week filled with local beer and food. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the event, Portsmouth Beer Week is, as the name implies, all about a love of beer!
While drinking local and delicious beer is certainly a huge part of Portsmouth Beer Week, the main goal of this celebration of everything malty and hoppy is to increase Portsmouth’s footprint on the national craft beer map. In honor of this beer-bash, Throwback will be participating in and hosting several fun events:
February 20th- Freshman Orientation:
Like speed dating for the NH craft breweries which opened in 2015. Come meet and talk shop with other local breweries. There will be 2 sessions throughout the day starting at 10:30 and 12:00. As part of the price of admission we will be serving everybody a cup of soup and half a sandwich- homemade tomato soup with a grilled cheese on our house-made mustard dill bread. Plus there will be Three Onion Dip and chips for snacking!
February 21st- 5th Annual Chocolate, Cheese and Beer Pairing Event: SOLD OUT for the fifth year in a row! You guys, rock!
Here’s a sneak peak at what you can expect:
- Course 1 – Amuse-Bouche: House-made Beer and Cheese dip with house-made spent-grain cheese crackers. Paired with Love Me Long Time Pilsener.
- Course 2– Cheese Slate: Three thoughtfully selected New England cheeses paired with two Throwback beers. (Sneak peak: One of the cheeses will be a fried goat cheese ball served with Romesco sauce. Yum!) These cheeses will be accompanied by local apple slices, house-made beer mustard, our house pickle, house-made jam, and bread.
- Course 3- Freshly-made salted chocolate salted pretzel stuffed with Timberdoodle from Woodcock Farm, Weston, Vermont. Plus, a local blue cheese that is sure to please. Perfectly paired with two Throwback beers.
- Course 4- Dessert: House-made marshmallow drizzled with a chocolate chili ganache. Hand-crafted chocolate from Winnipesaukee chocolates with an appropriately paired Throwback beer.
- Tour- Tour of our Hobbs Farm facility with head brewer Annette Lee. Color commentary by co-founder Nicole Carrier. Tour while enjoying a special cask of our Donkey-Hote Double IPA, dry hopped with Nelson and Columbus.
Interested in attending? Here are more details:
When: Sunday, February 21st. There will be two seatings:
12 to 2pm and 3 to 5pm.
Where: Throwback Brewery ‘s Brew House, in our beautiful 1860’s post & beam barn. 7 Hobbs Road, North Hampton, NH 03862
Price: The tickets are $36.30 per person. For convenience, when you check out, the 9% NH meals and beverage tax will be added on, as well as a 15% service charge, bringing the total to $45.
How: To purchase tickets, please visit http://mkt.com/throwback/cheese Note- Historically, this has sold out very quickly, so grab your ticket soon before they are gone! SOLD OUT
February 24th- Pond Hockey Invitational:
Come cheer on your local breweries as they take to the ice an battle it out in the 1st ever Beer Week Pond Hockey Invitational at Strawbery Banke!
Who can you expect to see out on the ice?
- Smuttynose Brewing Company
- Stoneface Brewing Company
- Throwback Brewery
- Redhook Brewery
- Oxbow Brewing Company
- Allagash Brewing Company
February 25th- Throwback Thursday @ The Coat of Arms:
Come dressed in your 90’s best and head over the the Coat of Arms ready to enjoy 5 specialty casks of Throwback beer. Prizes awarded to the best costume, so grab your denim jackets, walkman and gel pens!
Here’s what will be on cask:
- A light kettle-soured blonde ale with blueberries (pin), just the right amount of pucker!
- Fat Alberta- our decadent chocolate, peanut butter imperial stout (pin).
- Soggy Donkey White IPA- our collaboration with Smuttlabs. Dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin (pin).
- Hank’s Pale Ale dry hopped with Columbus and Sirachi Ace (Firkin).
- Roasted almond, toasted coconut, and chocolate porter (Firkin).
February 28th- Chef’s Whim “A Cheer for Beer!”:
Every Sunday our talented Chef Carrie puts out three small menu items focused around a theme. In honor of Portsmouth Beer Week the theme will be “A Cheer for Beer” and specials will include:
- Beer battered fish & chips
- Ribs smoked on applewood and our spent grain, rubbed with pork rub and then smothered with El Chupbrewcabra Mexican Porter BBQ sauce
- A chocolate stout cake!
For a full line-up of events during Portsmouth Beer Week, check out the 2016 calendar of events.