Around this time of year, we start looking for unique & special gifts for our loved ones. And, well, to be honest, we also start thinking about the kind of gifts that we would love to receive! With that in mind, we decided to start offering shares to our 2020 Hobbs Farm CSA early this year – just in time for the gift-giving season! If the thought of supporting a small, local business while also giving (or receiving!) 18 weeks of fresh flowers, produce, and even beer seems like a killer idea, please read on!
What’s a CSA?
CSA’s are Community Supported Agriculture, essentially a relationship between our farm and you, our customer. Rather than simply purchasing food, you guys become “members” of our farm and receive a portion of our harvest each week, via shares. All food for your share is grown right here at Hobbs Farm, home to Throwback Brewery. Our farm adheres to the principles of organic farming – we do not use any synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides, and we endeavor to use growing practices that are sustainable.
What are we offering?
This year we are offering two CSAs – a Whole Farm Share AND a Flower Share. With both options you will be supporting local agriculture!
Whole Farm Share – 18 weeks long, running the 3rd week of June through 2nd week of October (6/17/2020 – 10/16/2020). This option includes $20-$24 of fresh, locally grown, sustainable produce each week and 12 weeks of flower bouquets. It should feed 1 hungry vegetarian or 2 carnivores. This year we are offering two pick up days to choose from – Wednesday or Friday, 4-9pm at Throwback Brewery. The cost of this CSA is $450 per share. Some benefits of this CSA include:
- Weekly emails with updates from the farm and recipes for the week’s produce.
- 10% off of beers that you consume here at Throwback Brewery during pickup hours during the 18-week period. The 10% discount will apply to two people max (e.g., you and one other person).
- Exclusive first-pick access to Hobbs Farm pastured pork, available Fall 2020.
- Option to add on 2 specially selected cans of farm-fresh beer per week – with this option, our owners and brewers will hand-select two 16-oz cans each week to add to your share. By the end of the 18 weeks, you’ll receive 36 totals cans – a value of $150 for only $135, which is a 10% savings!
- Ability to add on on 10 weeks of large flower arrangements for only $130 – a discount of $20. This option will be for Wednesday pickup only – please see below for more info on the Flower CSA.
Flower CSA – 10 weeks long, running the 3rd week of July through 3rd week of September (7/13/2020 – 9/16/2020). With this option, you get handcrafted arrangements of locally and sustainably grown flowers every week for 10 weeks. We grow over 100 varieties of flowers, which mean different blooms each week! Here are the Flower CSA options and pricing:
- Monday afternoon delivery to home or office – $165 – includes a vase that will be swapped each week. Delivery is within 6 miles of our farm.
- Wednesday pick up at Throwback Brewery, 4-9pm – $150. With a Wednesday flower pickup, you also have the option to add on 2 specially selected cans of farm-fresh beer per week – with this option, our owners and brewers will hand-select two 16-oz cans each week to add to your share. By the end of the 10 weeks, you’ll receive 20 totals cans – a value of $85 for only $76.50, which is a 10% savings!
- Restaurant Flower Share – Own or manage a restaurant and want fresh flowers in vases for your tables every week? Contact [email protected] for a free quote. Deliveries will be on Mondays and include a vase that will be swapped every week.
How do I buy a share?
If you’d like a share, please send our farmers an email, and they will get back to you with the details you need to sign up and pay. (We do need upfront payment to successfully run the CSA and you can pay online here.). Please let us know what CSA option and pickup date you are interested in.
What might be in a share?
Last year’s shares included kale, chard, cabbage, radishes, turnips, scallions, assorted greens, garlic, lots of different herbs, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, husk cherries, assorted berries, carrots, beets, flowers, tomatillos, eggplant, green beans, winter squash, lettuce, lemongrass, Jerusalem artichokes, pears, and more. Our farmers blew us away with the quality and variety. We can’t wait to see what they can bring to the table with another year of farming our land!
Here are some pictures of some of last year’s shares:
Oh, and here are some flower pictures!