The third beer in our 2020 Unafraid of the Dark – Rare Breed Edition beer series is called The Dark Side of the Blend (7.9% ABV), and it’s a cuvée (i.e., a mix) of our Oma’s Tribute black lager that’s been fermented with Brettanomyces in a 4 Roses Bourbon Barrel blended with The Sandman— our dopplebock that’s been aged in a Cognac barrel. All of these components come together into a beauty of a beer with multiple layers of flavor (tart cherry, plum, chocolate, dark caramel) and a compelling bouquet of dark fruit, brett funk, and roast. The Dark Side of the Blend goes on tap here Wednesday, February 5th! We’ll also have a limited # of 350ml bottles for sale as well, on a first come, first serve basis.
Here are our tasting notes:
– Appearance: Brownish black with pretty mahogany red undertones. Light caramel colored head.
– Aroma: Light aromas of dark fruit and roast, underscored by a brett barrel funkiness. You can definitely tell this beer came from a barrel!
– Taste & Mouthfeel: Predominant flavors in this beer include plum, raisin, chocolate bread, light roast, oak, and caramel, rounded out with tart, dark berry notes that linger and combine with a balanced earthy roastiness at the end of each sip. While the Oma’s Tribute portion of this beer was 100% Brett fermented in the barrel, there are really no overt Brett flavors, but there is a slight funk in the nose, as mentioned above. The presence of the barrel definitely shines through, though, with flavors of oak and subtle bourbon underlying each sip.
The Dark Side of the Bend is light to medium-light in body, and it’s one smooth sipper!
– Pairing: Try pairing this beer with prime rib, smoked brisket, and cheddar cheese.
– Serving glass: Snifter or tulip.
– Stats – ABV 7.9%
Our Rare Breed series features the very best beers from our barrel program. Each beer has been carefully vetted by our brewers and owners to ensure that they are extraordinary enough to be bottled and shared with you!