Hobbs Farm – 2020 Apprentice Position
Do you like local food, craft beer, and farmer tans? Hobbs Farm at Throwback Brewery might be the place for you! We are looking to add one full-time apprentice grower for the 2020 season and beyond. You will learn the basics of how our farm is run, from the soil to the budget. For the right person, this apprenticeship could evolve into an assistant manager position in the future. Hobbs Farm is a small, diversified farm that grows for the restaurant and brewing operations at Throwback Brewery, in addition to offering a CSA and an on-site farmstand. We grow vegetables, herbs, flowers, hops, and fruit, and we raise meat and dairy animals on nearly 3 acres. Though we choose not to pursue the time-intensive USDA Organic Certification, we adhere to its principles and strive for sustainability in all aspects of the farm. Join our small team of farmers and become a part of this growing enterprise!
Hours: 40 hours per week, Wednesday-Sunday, 8:00am-4:30pm (or later)
Season: April 1- October 31 (committing to a full season is a necessity). There are possibilities for part-time work in winter, and for advancement in the 2021 season for the right person.
Perks: Hanging out with baby goats, learning about all aspects of sustainable agriculture, flexible hours, great beer, free produce, employee discount.
- Assistance with all aspects of small scale sustainable agriculture – soil prep, seeding, greenhouse work, transplanting, cultivating, harvesting, processing, and season extension.
- Assistance with livestock, including chores, milking, harvest, and processing.
- Independently maintaining the farm on Sundays, including all am and pm animal chores, watering, and tasks set by farm manager
- Operating a tractor and other farm machinery
- Other tasks as necessary, including farmstand maintenance, mowing, cleaning, customer service, etc.
- Occasionally assisting with other farm/brewery/restaurant related tasks as directed by the farm manager, such as staffing farmers markets, deliveries, etc.
- Love for and interest in sustainable agriculture, local food and beverage, and animals
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Good communication
- Good work ethic, self motivated, efficient, great sense of humor
- Ability to problem solve independently
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Interest in farming as a lifestyle or career
- Experience with farming or gardening preferred, but not necessary
To apply, please contact the Farm Manager, Katie Malloy, at [email protected]. Please send your resume, tell us about yourself, and answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in farming?
- What is your dream job?
- Is there an area of agriculture in particular you are interested in learning about, or do you have knowledge of a specific area that you can offer us?
- Please take a moment to read our company values. Please let us know which values resonate with you, and why!
We can’t wait to hear from you. Cheers!